Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Freight Train



This is one of the first songs I learned to finger-pick on my guitar when I was learning. I once heard a recording of Elizabeth Cotten singing this song. This version for clawhammer is different from the one Elizabeth sang with her big dreadnaught guitar or the one I play on my classical guitar.

I love folk music because it's so open to individual interpretation.

Here is the original version as played in her unique style by Elizabeth Cotten playing a left-handed dreadnaught.



Here's a link to the Smithsonian Folkways biography of Elizabeth.

https://folkways.si.edu/elizabeth-cotten-master-american-folk/music/article/smithsonian

Tom King


Well here's a really good film of Elizabeth singing a kind of revenge song with this great line in it "I wish to my soul that old woman would die!"

You just can't get great lyrics like that anymore.

T.

No comments:

Post a Comment