Saturday, August 18, 2018

Softly and Tenderly




When I was young and arrogant, I thought Christian hymns were predictable, boring and not very good poetry. I think I thought that because I'd heard them all my life and the lines rattled around in my head much to the dismay of my determined agnosticism. Then I met Christ.

And the old hymns began to mean something to me. This scene from the 20005 movie "Junebug" is a sweet rendition of a hymn that became one of my favorites. The lyrics no longer seemed trite and foolish. This song and its brothers and sisters tucked inside my church hymnal became the echoes of my own heart. My choir teachers in academy taught us to sing four part harmony and how to follow the notes and the parts in the music.

My Sweet Baboo grew up singing hymns and one of the things we did quite a lot after we were married was to break out in old hymns while washing dishes or driving in the car or walking along a path on a Sabbath walk. Old hymns became old friends.

Tom King


No comments:

Post a Comment